Category: Preservation

Field Notes from Herring Run: Meeting volunteers and finding Eutaw House

Over the next week, we’re excited to share updates the daily journal of archeologists Lisa Kraus and Jason Shellenhamer as they lead our archaeological dig in Herring Run Park. Read on for Lisa and Jason’s first journal entry and check out our gallery of photos from the first weekend of the dig.

When we first came to the Eutaw House site in the fall of 2014, we weren’t quite sure what we would find. We had studied historic maps, land records, newspaper archives, even paintings, and we knew that Eutaw, the home of wealthy merchant William Smith, must be nearby, but we couldn’t pinpoint its exact location.

During Smith’s lifetime, the view from the house would have included Herring Run, the Eutaw Mill and miller’s house, and several other tenant houses and outbuildings. While we were sure of the house’s general location, we were not confident that evidence of the house would still be present in the archaeological record.

Artifact, 2015 May 9.
Artifact, 2015 May 9.

On a brisk fall day, we came to a small bluff overlooking Herring Run and began digging a few holes known as shovel test pits. Almost at once, we identified traces of the house that once stood on the site and the people who occupied it: small broken pieces of dining and tea sets, bottle glass, tobacco pipe fragments, bricks, and several nails. Many of the artifacts were dateable from about 1760 to around 1860.

Eventually, we hit the jackpot! In one of our holes we encountered what looked like the top of a stone wall. Was the wall part of the foundation of William Smith’s 18th century manor house, called Eutaw, or some other outbuilding associated with the house? Or did we find the remains of something even earlier, perhaps the remains of a house that stood here before 1760? The only way to find out was to do more archaeology.

Luckily we have great neighbors who are also interested in the history of Eutaw and the greater Lauraville area. Members of the Northeast Baltimore History Roundtable, Baltimore Heritage and bunch of great volunteers are helping us uncover an astonishing archaeological site.

Young volunteer on top of the stone wall, 2015 May 10.
Young volunteer on top of the stone wall, 2015 May 10.

We started work this past Saturday, May 9th. The first place we explored was the mysterious stone building foundation we originally discovered in the Fall. Shortly after starting the excavation of our first test unit we rediscovered the wall. And as an added bonus, it appeared the building also had a cellar!

Finds from the first day, 2015 May 9.
Finds from the first day, 2015 May 9.

Was this wall part of the Eutaw House, or could it be a foundation to one of the outbuildings? The historical research we conducted on the property has provided some significant clues. A newspaper article from the 1850s tells us that Eutaw House was a substantial building (sixty feet on each side). A building that big would have been built on an equally substantial foundation. We also knew that in 1865, the Eutaw House burned down while guests were gathering there for the christening of one of the young family members.

While no one was hurt in the fire and much of the furniture was saved, the house itself burned down completely. Bad news for the Smith Family, but good for archaeologists: we knew if we found a burned foundation or blackened and melted artifacts, that would be persuasive evidence that we had found Eutaw House.

Cellar hole, 2015 May 10.
Cellar hole, 2015 May 10.

Starting Sunday morning, we began to explore the cellar and foundation wall further. As it turns out, it’s a pretty big wall, made of mortared, dressed fieldstone measuring approximately two feet wide. The foundation was certainly large enough to support the house described in the newspaper accounts.

As we began excavating the cellar hole, we found artifacts that had clearly been affected by fire: burned bricks and mortar, 19th-century teawares and serving dishes, melted bottle and window glass, and hundreds of burned nails. It appears we found the Eutaw House.

We’ve also found intriguing evidence of an even earlier structure nearby, possibly predating the 1760 Eutaw House. We’ll be investigating further this week as well. We’ve had some amazing volunteers this weekend, and it’s been a blast getting to know them as we continue solving the mystery of this incredible archaeological site. We’re excited to see what happens next – and we’ll keep you posted!

Archaeologists Jason Shellenhamer and Lisa Kraus, 2015 May 9.
Archaeologists Jason Shellenhamer and Lisa Kraus, 2015 May 9.

Herring Run Park Archaeology: Volunteers are digging for artifacts and answers in northeast Baltimore

Over the next two weeks, visitors to Herring Run Park can meet archaeologists Lisa Kraus and Jason Shellenhamer along with dozens of volunteers working together to uncover 200 years of hidden history. With support from Preservation Maryland, the Herring Run Park Archaeology project is bringing neighbors together to answer exciting questions about the history of northeast Baltimore and protect archaeological resources. Read on for a quick introduction to the project and details on the Herring Run Park Archaeology Open House Weekend, May 16-17.

Portrait of William Smith and His Grandson, Charles Wilson Peale, 1788. Courtesy Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.
Portrait of William Smith and His Grandson, Charles Wilson Peale, 1788. Courtesy Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.

On the park side of quiet Eastwood Drive, our team is searching for Eutaw – an 18th century country estate owned by William Smith. In addition to a long career as a merchant, Smith (not to be confused with General Samuel Smith) served as a representative from Maryland to the House of Representatives, the Maryland State Senate. Beyond this fascinating site, additional survey work (see the project update by archaeologist Lisa Kraus from last December) opened up new questions about a complicated landscape of archaeological remains that we hope to continue to explore through a nine-day excavation that begins this Saturday.

Eric HolcombBut this project is about more than history. Public archaeology bring neighbors together to share stories and preserve historic landscapes. For our third public archaeology project since 2011, we are excited to partner with the Northeast Baltimore History Roundtable and the Friends of Herring Run Parks. We are also glad to continue our partnerships with the Archeological Society of Maryland, Commission for Historical and Architectural Preservation, and Baltimore City Department of Recreation and Parks. Best of all are the amazing group of residents in Lauraville, Hamilton, and Arcadia who have championed this project over the past year. These residents who are donating their time and expertise to this effort and passionate about their community’s history. Local resident (and CHAP’s executive director) Eric Holcomb and his neighbor Rich Dowd even built the screens our volunteers will be using in the field!

Image courtesy Patty Dowd, Friends of Herring Run Parks.
Image courtesy Patty Dowd, Friends of Herring Run Parks.

You can still get involved as a volunteer or by sharing your own questions about the history of the park. Are you wondering who worked at the mills, the hotels, taverns, and farms that existed here in the 1800s? Did Native Americans establish settlements or camps here? How has the neighborhood changed over time, and what has stayed the same? Let us know your questions or ideas in the comments.

Herring Run Park Archaeology Open House Weekend

Saturday, May 16 or Sunday, May 17, 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Stop by Herring Run Park at 3600 of Eastwood Drive, Baltimore, MD 21206

Northeast Baltimore residents, archaeology enthusiasts, students and families are all encouraged to stop by to learn more about historical archaeology and the history of Herring Run Park. We’ll be offering guided tours of the site at 10:00 am, 11:30 am, and 1:00 pm; family-friendly self-guided tours with the new TaleBlazer smartphone app; and opportunities to talk with the team and see the finds from the week of work in the park.

Photograph by Eli Pousson, November 2014.
Photograph by Eli Pousson, November 2014.

 

Updated 2015 May 7: The original version of this post incorrectly named Eutaw as the home of Samuel Smith. Eutaw was the property of William Smith and his cousin Samuel Smith lived nearby at Montebello. Our apologies for the error!

A nightime view of a large Victorian brick building with light shining from the windows.

With our shared heritage, we are undaunted in working for Baltimore’s future

As we reflect on the events of the past few days in Baltimore, our thoughts are with those who are working to make our historic city a better place – through pursuit of equal justice and the revitalization of historic neighborhoods. While damage to historic buildings is so far limited, iconic landmarks like the Arch Social Club on Pennsylvania Avenue, the city’s oldest Jewish cemetery on North Avenue, the Gwynns Falls Parkway (a brand-new addition to the City’s historic landmark list), and the 1887 American Brewery on Gay Street stood close to the scene of yesterday’s violence. This morning, I hope you will join us in thanking the people who are continuing their committed stewardship of these and other great places that mean so much to our city.

Looking forward, we believe that our work preserving the historic places that matter to our city’s history is needed as much now as ever. The Enoch Pratt Free Library’s Central Branch is open today just as it began: “for all, rich and poor without distinction of race or color.” On the Gwynns Falls Parkway, volunteers are out this morning planting flowers and giving the park a fine spring cleaning. Patterson Park is undamaged and any visitor to Observatory Hill will find locals as undaunted as when we faced down the British in 1814.

We will continue to use our calendar as a resource share community events. We also encourage you to get involved by coming to some of our upcoming talks and tours that explore our shared heritage and the lasting legacy of the city’s past. If there is one theme that stands out to me, it is that we are indeed all in this together.

We look forward to talking, walking, and working with you in the days and weeks ahead.

B&P Tunnel proposal threatens demolition in historic West Baltimore. Learn more at public meetings this month.

Have you heard about the Baltimore & Potomac Tunnel project? One replacement proposed for this aging tunnel threatens to demolish several blocks of historic West Baltimore. Four public meetings in April offer opportunities to learn more about the project and share your views.

What is the B&P Tunnel Project?

The Baltimore and Potomac (B&P) Tunnel is a railroad tunnel on Amtrak’s Northeast Corridor (NEC) line in use between Penn Station and the West Baltimore MARC Station for over 140 years. Today, the tunnel is used by Amtrak, MARC Commuter Rail and Norfolk Southern Railway. It is also a bottleneck affecting the reliability of rail service up and down the northeast. One proposed replacement to the B&P Tunnel (known as Alternative 11: Robert Street South) provokes serious concerns about the demolition of historic buildings in West Baltimore. Please come out to a public meeting this month to learn more about the B&P Tunnel project and voice your concerns about the long-term consequences of Alternative 11 on historic West Baltimore neighborhoods.

Last year, the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT), Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), and Amtrak started work on a study to evaluate the condition of the existing tunnel and propose alternatives for rail service through Baltimore. After public meetings in June and October 2014, the project published a Preliminary Alternatives Screening Report (pdf) that identified and evaluated 16 possible options (illustrated in the map below).

From the Preliminary Alternatives Screening Report (2014), B&P Tunnel Project.
Map of Preliminary Alternatives, including 3 and 11. From the Preliminary Alternatives Screening Report (2014), B&P Tunnel Project.

This preliminary review selected four alternatives to advance to a second round of review. Building nothing (Alternative 1) or rehabilitating the existing tunnel (Alternative 2) are two options that are unlikely to meet the long-term need for improved rail service. The two remaining options (Alternative 3: Great Circle Passenger Tunnel and Alternative 11: Robert Street South) both require expensive new tunnels. Unfortunately, Robert Street South also appears to require the demolition of several blocks of historic rowhouses within the proposed Midtown Edmondson National Register Historic District and demolition of the 1911 American Ice Company.

From the Preliminary Alternatives Screening Report (2014), B&P Tunnel Project.
Map illustration the southern portal for Alternative 11. From the Preliminary Alternatives Screening Report (2014), B&P Tunnel Project.

Learn more or share concerns at a public meeting in April

Starting next week, MDOT, FRA, Amtrak and the Baltimore City Department of Transportation are hosting a series of meetings to offer members of the public an opportunity to learn more about the project, ask questions and offer input on the process.

All four meetings are scheduled from 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., with a formal presentation starting at 6:30 p.m. The same information will be shared at each meeting in the series:

  • Monday, April 13 at Gilmor Elementary, 1311 North Gilmor Street
  • Tuesday, April 14 at Mt. Royal Elementary, 121 McMechen Street
  • Monday, April 20 at Westside Elementary, 2235 North Fulton Avenue
  • Tuesday, April 21 at Lockerman Bundy Elementary, 301 N. Pulaski Street

To be added to the project mailing list, or to submit your comments, please email info@bptunnel.com. For other questions or for special accommodations at any of these upcoming public meetings, contact Ms. Odessa Phillip, PE, Environmental Project Manager at the Baltimore City Department of Transportation at (410) 396-6856 or Odessa.phillip@baltimorecity.gov.

More open house meetings are planned for this spring and summer. Additional background on this issue can be found on the project website, our own issue profile on the B&P Tunnel Project or The Baltimore Sun coverage from November 2014.

American Ice Company, 2012
American Ice Company, 2012

2015 Sustainable Communities Tax Credit awards nearly $7 million for preservation in Baltimore

On Wednesday, December 10, the Maryland Historical Trust announced the exciting preservation projects receiving the Sustainable Communities Tax Credit in 2015. Next year, the historic tax credit program will invest ten million dollars in nine projects from Western Maryland to the Eastern Shore. In Baltimore, four projects received historic tax credits—supporting a planned investment of over sixty million in the Fell’s Point, Stone Hill, Broadway East and Charles North neighborhoods.

  • Eastern Pumping Station/Baltimore Food Hub: Conversion of former pumping station to a mixed-use food center business incubator. Credit: $3 million; Estimated project cost: $15 million
  • Fell’s Point Recreation Pier: Conversion of the former municipal pier building for use as a hotel and restaurant facility. Credit: $3 million; Estimated project cost: $39.8 million
  • Florence Crittenton Home: Conversion of former mill owner’s mansion/social services campus for use as rental apartments. Credit: $520,000; Estimated project cost: $2.6 million
  • Eastwick Motor Company: Conversion of a 1914 Ford dealership for use as an arts organization center and restaurant. Credit: $453,968; Estimated project cost: $6.1 million
Rendering of planned rehabilitation for former Eastwick Motor Company.
Rendering of planned rehabilitation for former Eastwick Motor Company.

You may remember the Eastern Pumping Station from our Behind the Scenes tour last summer. We’ll also be visiting the Eastwick Motor Company next month—a building better known as the former home to Load of Fun and now known as the Motor House. According to a March 2009 study funded by the Abell Foundation, the state historic tax credit program has helped to create more than 26,000 jobs throughout the state. The Baltimore Sun quoted Elizabeth Hughes of the Maryland Historical Trust, “One of the things that they all share, the common thread, is good preservation practices, combined with promise of local economic return.”

Learn more about how you can advocate for continued investments in Baltimore’s historic neighborhoods at the Preservation Priorities Forum hosted by Preservation Maryland on January 13.