Home owners, contractors, architects, and anyone who loves their old house is invited to join Baltimore Heritage and Duffy Hoffman, “The Old House Doctor,” at Second Chance on March 24 for a one-day wood window rehabilitation workshop. Attendees will learn how to repair and preserve deteriorating and damaged wood building components and how to appropriately restore and weatherize historic wood windows. RSVP then pay online today! Learn about windows and more with our resources for homeowners.
Architects can receive 6 AIA/CES (HSW/SD) with registration.
Windows Restoration Workshop with Duffy Hoffman, “The Old House Doctor”
Saturday, March 24, 2012
9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Second Chance, 1700 Ridgely Street, 21230
$20.00 per person, payable online.
Space is limited so please register before March 17, 2012.
About Duffy Hoffman
Owner of Hoffman Preservation & Restoration, Duffy Hoffman is a third generation craftsman with more than 25 years experience in the preservation trades. He is also one of the five founders of the “Window Preservation Standards Collaborative” a group focused on setting the standard for window restoration and weatherization.
Hoffman has conducted countless classes nationwide, most notably at the International Preservation Trades Workshop and the Traditional Building Exhibition & Conference. He is a notable presenter and workshop leader at regional, statewide, and national events throughout the country including historical shows in the Northeast. In addition, he has also presented at the annual conferences of the Painting and Decorating Contractors Association. His expertise has been featured in numerous newspaper and magazine articles, and twice on the HGTV television show “Restore America”.
Morning Session – 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
- Examine the impact of site features and building design on exterior woodwork.
- Get hands on experience using epoxy consolidants and wood fillers.
- See demonstrations of appropriate Dutchman repairs.
- Learn the importance of proper ventilation and coatings for wood features.
- Learn how to avoid mistakes that can increase your project costs.
Lunch Break – 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm
- Pack a lunch, find a bite in the neighborhood or buy lunch at the Souper Freaks Lunch Truck (stopping at Second Chance for our workshop).
Afternoon Session – 1:00 pm – 3:30 pm
- Review the different components of a window and how they function.
- Learn about paint removal techniques, lead-based paint, and new federal guidelines for abatement.
- Watch how to strip, repair and repaint a window.
- Learn about techniques for weatherizing and improving the thermal efficiency of a window.
- Learn about the benefits of repair and rehabilitation over complete replacement.
Question and Answer Session – 3:30 pm – 4:00 pm