Boasting magnificent porches, high ceilings, and signature stonework, the 1856 Orianda House stood at the center of the extensive estate of Thomas Winans and his French-Russian wife Celeste Louise Revillon. Winans, chief engineer of the Russian Railway between Moscow and St. Petersburg, built this summer home on a hundred acres of land at the western edge of Baltimore. Please join us, our hosts from the nonprofit Outward Bound that leases the building, and Mr. Rick Smith, director of the Friends of Orianda House, on a tour of this grand mid-nineteenth century summer home.
Baltimore is full of compelling historic sites, buildings, and neighborhoods each with dedicated people working hard for their preservation. To support these people and their projects, Baltimore Heritage will distribute four small grants during a “we the people” Preservation Pitch Party. Supporters of eight preservation projects around Baltimore City will get three minutes to pitch their project and at the end, the crowd will decide which ideas to award. We hope you can join us to contribute your vote!
Last month we asked for preservation groups to submit ideas for projects to fund. We whittled the excellent submissions own to a final group of eight. Of those eight proposals, two $500 grants and two $250 grants will be distributed at the pitch party. Below is list of the eight finalists:
- Baltimore Immigration Museum is seeking funds for work that needs to be done on their building, including the partial re-pointing and repair of the brick facade around the entry door in order to prevent future water infiltration into the structure.
- Friends of St. Vincent Cemetery in Clifton Park seeks funds to pay for weed and brush removal tools, wheelbarrows, and work gloves to assist with their work cleaning and restoring this abandoned but no longer forgotten 5.3 acre cemetery.
- The Herring Run Archaeology Project is looking for funds to continue their work in 2017. The group works in Northeast Baltimore identifying and excavating previously unknown archaeological sites in Baltimore’s Herring Run Park with neighbors and community schools.
- Irish Railroad Workers Museum requests funds to help promote and increase an audience for their “Second and Fourth Saturdays Presentations” for 2017.
- Taylor’s Chapel asks for money to restore historic frescos believed to be painted by Constantino Brumidi, who painted the frescoes in the US Capitol building.
- Friends of Gwynns Falls/Leakin Park is looking to fund an independent assessment from expert consultants to determine the feasibility of the stabilization or restoration of two historic field stone structures (ca.1858) in Winans Meadow in Leakin Park.
- G. Krug & Son Ironworks Museum seeks funds to help market their 2016 Holidays at Krug, an annual winter event that allows the public to experience the entirety of the 206-year old blacksmith shop.
- The Market Center Merchants Association wants funding for the Market Center History Day Celebration to bring students in for a tour and discussion of historic sites in around Lexington Market.
The pitch party takes place on Friday, October 21, 2016 from 5:00 to 7:00 pm at the Baltimore Immigration Museum, immediately after the conclusion of Baltimore Heritage’s 2016 Bmore Historic Conference. Please join us and cast your vote and hear about great preservation ideas in Baltimore. The pitch party is free and will include a wine and cheese reception. Space is limited to 75. Reserve your seat at the pitch party today!
For questions, please contact Johns Hopkins at 410-332-9992 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join Baltimore Heritage and the Friends of Maryland’s Olmsted Parks and Landscapes as we ride with Tour dem Parks, Hon! for a great bike tous on the rich history of Baltimore parks this spring. This guided tour is free but riders are required to register and pay for Tour dem Parks Hon! in advance.
Tour dem Ramparts, Huzzah! Baltimore 1814 by Bike (8:15am)
To RSVP for this ride, first register for the 25-mile Tour on the Tour dem Parks webpage and then register for the free guided tour here. The tour group will meet at Carroll Park at 8:15am sharp!. Best for experienced cyclists – expect a moderate pace and occasional stops.
Imagine the ramparts and bastions! Listen for the sounds of bombs bursting over the rushing stream of the Jones’ Falls as we ride and share stories of Baltimore in 1814 from Carroll Park to Hampstead Hill. Of course, we’ll also be sure to share how Frederick Law Olmsted and the Olmsted Brothers helped to transform these former fortifications into the beautiful public parks we still know and love today.
[su_button url=”https://baltimoreheritage.org/?page=CiviCRM&q=civicrm/event/register&reset=1&id=96″ size=”8″ center=”yes” text_shadow=”0px 0px 0px #000000″]Sign up today![/su_button]
RSVP above to join a tour but don’t forget to register for Tour dem Parks before April 30. Registration is $40 for adults or $25 for young riders 15 and under. Proceeds support local non-profit environmental advocacy and cycling organizations.
Baltimore Heritage’s Behind the Scenes Tours Program is celebrating 5 years and over 100 tours of sites throughout Baltimore with a guided house and village walk in Dickeyville. Please join us for this fundraising event to learn about one of Baltimore’s oldest communities, peek inside a few private homes, and ensure the tours can keep going strong for years to come.
House and Village Tour in Dickeyville
Saturday, September 8, 2012
4:00 to 5:30 p.m.
2411 Pickwick Rd (Baltimore 21207)
$25 for members / $35 for non-members
RSVP today and bring a friend!
The Gwynns Falls first saw industrial development as early as the late 1700s and, by 1808, the small industrial village began to form around an early paper mill along the water where Dickeyville sits today. Although few of these early stone structures remain, the village endured and grew in the mid 1800s when the Wethered Brothers, owners of the mills, began building homes for their workers and made other improvements for the community. The Wethered’s sold off small lots to private owners, many of whom built their own houses along with public buildings such as a fraternal hall, a general store, and churches. The diversity of worker housing and industrial buildings created over time resulted a uniquely diverse architecture that is at the heart of the historic village’s captivating character today.
In the 1930s, however, the isolated mill village was rocked by change thanks to the start of the Great Depression and the introduction of electrified industrial facilities that brought older mills like those on the Gwynns Falls to a stop. In 1934, the entire stock of buildings was sold at auction and bought by a group called the Title Holding Company. The new owners hired Palmer and Lambden, noted local architects from the Roland Park Company, to build new houses and renovate existing ones, using the Roland Park Company as its sales agent. A rush of new residents decided they wanted their community to resemble an English village in design and name – making Dickeyville one of Baltimore’s earliest attempts at historic restoration. The new homeowners added many historic details such as gaslamps, Belgian Block gutters, and picket fences, and gave their streets names evoking another era – like Pickwick Road named for an English village.
Dickeyville residents have worked hard for several generations to maintain and build from the village’s historic buildings and character. Standing in the center of the community today, you might swear you were in the middle of an 19th century village in the Cottswalds. Please join our hostess, Patricia Hawthorne, and resident tour guide Mike Blair for a short stroll around the village and a look inside three private homes: with hosts Elizabeth and Steven Sfekas, Leslie and Bruce Greenwald, and Patricia Hawthorne.