Tag: clifton park

Baltimore Building of the Week: Clifton Mansion

This edition of our Baltimore Building of the Week series with Dr. John Breihan is a few days late but still a stunning landmark of Baltimore history and architecture: Clifton Mansion,

Image courtesy Jack Breihan

The country home of Baltimore’s premier philanthropist, the wealthy merchant Johns Hopkins, Clifton represents another variation on the Italianate architectural style so popular in the middle of the 19th century. Besides their massive symmetrical town palaces with heavy overhanging cornices, the merchant princes of the Italian Renaissance also built less formal suburban villas. The layout was deliberately asymmetrical, especially evident in a tall tower placed at an off-center location in the design. Johns Hopkins certainly qualified as a merchant prince. In addition to his town mansion on Saratoga Street (since demolished), Hopkins in the 1840s began to remodel an older Federal-style house situated on a suburban hilltop, once the home of an 1814 Baltimore Defender. The architectural firm of Niernsee and Neilson incorporated the old house into a much larger mansion, including various Italianate elements – particularly bracketed cornices and arched windows and porch arcades – combined with the asymmetrical layout and 80-foot tower that mark the Italian Villa style.

Read more

Baltimore Building of the Week: Mount Clare Mansion

For our 50th anniversary year, Baltimore Heritage is posting a new image each week featuring one of Baltimore’s historic buildings and the story of how preservation took part in Baltimore history. Our images and captions for this series are provided by Dr. John Breihan, a professor of history and preservation at Loyola University and a vice-president for Baltimore Heritage. The very first image of the year is of the 1763 Mount Clare Museum House,

Mount Clare Mansion, image courtesy Jack Breihan, 2009

Probably the oldest structure standing in Baltimore City is the Mount Clare Mansion in Carroll Park. A perfect five-part Georgian Palladian plantation house, Mount Clare was built about 1760. It was saved by the Colonial Dames of America, who operate it as a house museum.