Originally the summer home of industrialist and abolitionist Elisha Tyson in the early 1800s, 732 Pacific Street is a classic Federal style house built with native granite two feet thick. Among many other accomplishments, Tyson helped finance the very profitable Falls Road Turnpike in 1805 and reportedly established safe houses for runaway slaves along the route. The building on Pacific Street was later owned by the Mount Vernon Mill Company and used as a superintendent’s house for the mill complex. Robyn Lyles and Mark Thistle (also a Baltimore Heritage board member) purchased the house in 2005 and finished renovations in 2009. The rehab project included archeology work by the University of Maryland, painstakingly saving windows including the original antique glass, and disassembling and reassembling the porch to save the original materials. 13,000 hours of work later, the finished product is a masterpiece of historic preservation.
Today’s post is the beginning of a new category for our 2010 Baltimore Heritage Preservation Award winners. The Restoration and Rehab Award recognizes that restoration or rehabilitation of historic commercial, institutional or residential buildings that have maintained the basic historic function of the building. Our first award-winner in this category is the Hampden Residence of Ezra Hercenberg at 3415 Falls Road.
With new vinyl siding on the front and every single window missing, the building at 3415 Falls Road appeared an unlikely candidate for any type of historic preservation project. Undaunted, the owner, Ezra Hercenberg, and his architect Julie Tice, charged in. They removed the vinyl to reveal original German siding, which they preserved in place. They repaired the porch, saving as much original material as they could, and they even were able to preserve the original cornice. The end result is a wonderfully restored historic structure that brings new life to the Hamden historic district.
In the 19th century, Baltimore was the world’s leading supplier of cotton duck, a material that was used in items from uniforms and tents to sailcloth and parachutes. Much of it was made at a sprawling complex of mill buildings collectively called the Mount Vernon Mill. Our host, Terra Nova Ventures, has cleaned out the Mount Vernon Mill No. 1 building and is about to embark on a massive historic restoration and reuse project. Please join us on a “before rehab” tour of this great historic industrial space.
Date: Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Time: 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
Place: Mount Vernon Mill (2980 – 3000 Falls Road, Baltimore 21211)
The building is on Falls Road just north of Wyman Park Drive and the Stieff Silver Building
Cost: $15 (includes wine and cheese reception) Registration: Click Here to Register.
Built in 1899 and designed as a police station for Baltimore’s Northern District Police Station, now known as The Castle, at 3355 Keswick Road originally housed police functions such as a call room, gymnasium, holding cells and offices, as well as a stable area and two carriage houses for the mounted police unit in the pre-automobile era. Rehabilitation involved more than extensive work inside and out, including un-doing some unfortunate changes that were made in the 1970s. The original entry way was restored, along with the carriage houses and even the holding cells. The building now houses an array of offices and is a welcome addition to the section of Hampden. The Adaptive Reuse and Compatible Design award went to David Gleason Architects. Enjoy this video of the interior from Ben Frederick Realty Inc. or continue on for more photos. Read more