Newlyweds Louis and Esther Rheb moved into their new home at 3352 Wilkens Avenue in 1917 and a year later, Louis started making candy. With batches of taffies, fudges and jellies, Rheb’s Candies was born 101 years ago. Twice a week back then, Esther would head off to Hollins Market and Louis to Belair Market to sell their sweets. By the 1930s, the couple also opened a stall at Lexington Market. But twice a week at the markets was not enough for Baltimore, and many people showed up at the Rhebs’ doorstep to snatch up the candy before it literally left their house.
In 1950, the Rhebs converted a garage into a shop, keeping the first floor of their house as the production facility. Not much has changed today, including the house-garage set-up and the delicious hand dipped chocolate and other goodies. Please join us and the fourth generation of Rheb family members on a tour of one of Baltimore’s legacy family businesses.