Tag: Waverly

A large corner building painted white with blue trim around a first floor storefront.

Request for Proposals: Waverly Town Hall (3100 Greenmount Avenue)

Baltimore Community 4, LLC is issuing a Request for Proposals (“RFP”) for 3100 Greenmount Avenue in Baltimore. This property is located in the Abell neighborhood, in the Waverly Main Street district.

The RFP, including a full description of the opportunity, the neighborhood, and dates for a property tour are included on the Central Baltimore Future Fund’s website. All interested parties are requested to register online to receive the RFP and future announcements about this opportunity.

Interested parties must submit a request for information by June 24, 2019 for proposals to be considered.

Waverly Main Street listed on the National Register of Historic Places

Congratulations to the Waverly Main Street community including Joe Stewart, Tom Gamper, Elise Hoffman and many others for the listing of the Waverly Main Street Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places! Baltimore Heritage also played an important role in providing technical assistance for the completion of the nomination in 2012. This new historic district includes the area roughly bounded by East 29th Street, Barclay Avenue, East 35th Street, Old York Road, and Greenmount Avenue.

Download the full nomination (PDF) for the Waverly Main Street Historic District for more background on the history and architecture of this vital Baltimore neighborhood.

Image courtesy Live Baltimore.

Behind the Scenes Tour of the Waverly Fire House, Engine #31

Our next Behind the Scenes Tour will be of the recently restored, 110 year-old Waverly Fire House. Councilwoman Mary Pat Clarke will be on-hand to talk about her role in saving the historic structure. The Waverly Fire House was built in 1901 and continuously served the greater Waverly area until being closed in 2009 for repairs. Engine company #31 moved back into their renovating fire house in March of this year. Captain John Parker has invited Baltimore Heritage’s members to come and see how a 20th century fire house can serve its fire fighters and community well into this century.

Waverly Fire House

3123 Greenmount Avenue, 21218
Wednesday, June 1| 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM
RSVP for the tour today!
$10/members, $15/non-members
On-street parking is available.

The Waverly Fire House was built in 1901 and for more than a century has served a good deal of north central Baltimore, from Ednor Gardens to Charles Village, from Tuscany Canterbury to Coldstream-Homestead-Montebello. Predating the great 1904 fire in downtown Baltimore, the Waverly Fire House was built when horses pulled steam-powered pumping trucks. With limited room and carrying capacity, the firemen literally often would run to the fires along with the horse-pulled equipment. (Motorized fire trucks would not arrive in the United States until 1906, and a little later in Baltimore). After 108 years of operation, in June of 2009 the Waverly Fire House had become uninhabitable and Engine #31 and Medic Unit #3 that were housed there were relocated. The roof was leaking and pigeons had moved into the exposed areas. The Baltimore City Fire Department did not have all the necessary funds in the budget to make the required repairs, and many feared that was the end of the building and the presence of the fire company in Waverly. City Councilwoman Mary Pat Clarke, who represents the area, took on the task of saving the historic fire house and keeping it alive and a center of the community.

With the no nonsense statement, “It is a mainstay of Waverly. It will reopen,” Councilwoman Clarke proceeded to make good on her promise and secured much of the funds needed for renovations through the City’s General Obligation Bond fund. The communities served by the fire house also rallied to raise money with bake sales, raffles, and neighborhood festivals. The collective effort paid off, and the fire house reopened with a new roof, new electrical and plumbing systems, a new kitchen, updated bathrooms, and separate sleeping quarters for female staff, a need completely unanticipated by the building’s original designers in 1901. Please join us and our tour guides, Councilwoman Clarke and Baltimore City Fire Captain John Parker, as we explore the restoration of this great historic fire house and learn up close how a modern municipal fire department fits into a century old building. And maybe they will let us try on their hats! Kids of all ages are welcome.