During the month of May, volunteer archaeologists led by Lisa Kraus and Jason Shellenhamer are carefully digging through layers of history at the Caulker’s Houses in Fell’s Point. Please stop by the weekend of June 1–2 anytime from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. to discover what the dig has turned up on our free public archaeology tour of organized in partnership by the Herring Run Archaeology Project, Baltimore Heritage, and the Preservation Society of Federal Hill and Fell’s Point, and the Friends of 612-614 South Wolf Street.
Built as early as 1801, the Caulker’s Houses at 612 and 614 South Wolfe Street are two of the smallest and oldest wooden homes remaining in Fell’s Point. Between 1842 and 1854, the buildings became homes to African American ship caulkers Richard Jones, Henry Scott, and John Whittington. The shipbuilding industry in Fell’s Point depended on free and enslaved black labor and these small homes provide an important reminder of that history. The buildings are also known the Two Sisters Houses after sisters Mary Leeke Rowe Dashiell and Eleanor Marine Dashiell, the last owners before Preservation Society acquired the buildings.
The Baltimore Public Markets Corp. is hosting a community meeting on Tuesday, December 12 to open a dialogue on the long-planned redevelopment of Broadway Market. The meeting will take place at the offices of Brown Advisory at 901 S. Bond Street in the Bond Street Wharf. Learn more from the Baltimore Business Journal.
Join the Friends of the Canton Library at the historic Engine Company No. 22 Hall at 1030 South Linwood Avenue for an afternoon conversation on the history of the famous “Road Fight.”
In the 1960s, East Baltimore residents joined residents in West Baltimore to prevent the planned construction of a highway that would have devastated Fell’s Point and Canton. Everyone is welcome for a panel discussion that includes Joe McNeely, Betty Deacon, Charlie Duff. Residents past and present are encouraged to bring memories and memorabilia from the history of Canton and southeast Baltimore to show and tell.
Refreshments will be provided. Call 410-935-3969 for more information.
When the British threatened Baltimore in the fall of 1814, the citizens did not panic or surrender. Instead, with the help of militia from across the region, they rushed to defend the city with earthworks and fortifications. By the time the British landed a strong force at North Point on September 12, the earthworks stretched three miles from the water’s edge up to where Johns Hopkins Hospital stands today. The anchor of the defense was high ground known as Hampstead Hill. While most of the city’s defenses have been built over with handsome brick rowhouses, Hampstead Hill still survives within today’s Patterson Park.
With funding from the Maryland Heritage Area Authority and the National Park Service American Battlefield Protection Program, Baltimore Heritage completed We Dig Hampstead Hill – an archeological investigation of Patterson Park in spring 2014. The project archeologists spent the summer analyzing artifacts and are now ready to share some exciting stories about the history and archeology of Hampstead Hill!
Dr. John Bedell, lead archaeologist on the project, will discuss the Battle of Baltimore and its importance for the city’s history, describe the findings of the archaeological study, and discuss the role of archaeology in public history, historic preservation, and community memory.
We’re excited to welcome our latest home-owner into the Baltimore Heritage Centennial Homes program with a plaque presentation for Mr. Roland Moskal on Fait Avenue at the monthly Canton Neighborhood Association meeting on March 25.
Moskal Centennial Home Plaque Presentation at the Canton Neighborhood Association Meeting
Monday, March 25, 2013, 7:00pm
United Evangelical Church, 3200 Dillon Street, Baltimore, MD 21224 Social gathering starts at 6:30pm and the presentation starts at 7:00pm with brief remarks from the Canton Neighborhood Association President, Daryll Jurkiewicz.
In 1904, Roland Moskal’s maternal grandmother, Maggie Williams, a widow, purchased a newly constructed rowhouse at 3408 Fait Ave. in the neighborhood of Canton in Baltimore City. She paid off her mortgage 17 months later in 1905. Over the last 108 years, Maggie Williams was followed by three generations of her family who have owned and occupied the property including her grandson Robert Moskal. Read on for the extensive profile of the history of this long-time Canton family and their home. Special thanks to our hard-working volunteer Lisa Doyle for her continuing work on the Centennial Homes program. If you have information on a Centennial Homeowner in your neighborhood, please contact Lisa Doyle at 410-484-7878 or firstname.lastname@example.org.