How do I sign up?
Please register as a volunteer using the form below. You will then receive a scheduling poll with available dates to sign up as a volunteer. We plan to continue to accept volunteers throughout the dig but all volunteers must register in advance.
How do I get there? Where do I park?
The project team and volunteers will start each morning at the Superintendent’s House in Patterson Park (27 South Patterson Park Avenue at Lombard Street). Public transportation options are available – visit the Maryland Transit Administration website for more information.
For volunteers who are driving to the site, free on-street parking is available in the surrounding area but some blocks may have restricted hours or days for street sweeping.
What should I wear?
Please wear weather-appropriate clothing and closed-toed shoes. In the event of serious inclement weather, please call Jason Shellenhamer at 202.510.1173 to check on weather related cancellations or delays.
What should I bring with me?
All volunteers are encouraged to bring:
- a packed lunch
- a bottle of water or refillable container
- sun screen
- a hat
- name and number(s) of an emergency contact
If available, you may also want to bring a camp or folding chair. Most volunteers will spend more time screening than digging, but experienced volunteers with their own archeology tools available can bring:
- line levels
- string (highly visible colors such as yellow preferred)
- folding rulers with both English and metric readings
- a trowel
Can I bring my son or daughter with me?
Yes! Depending on the age of your child they may also be able to participate as a hands-on volunteer.
- Children under 10, accompanied by a responsible adult are free to visit the site and watch, ask questions etc., but not be a volunteer participant
- Children from 10 to 15 can volunteer on site with a responsible adult but their volunteer activities will not to include excavation.
- Children from 16 to 18 can be full volunteers, with or without adult accompaniment, but an emergency contact needs to be reachable.
Where do I get a copy of the volunteer handbook?
Printed copies of our volunteer handbook will be available on site or you can download a PDF copy of the volunteer handbook here.