Baltimore Heritage works with residents, property owners and neighborhood advocates to promote historic preservation across the city. Learn more about how you can get involved with ongoing preservation issues, find success stories, and remember lost landmarks.
In some cases, we identify at-risk buildings and work proactively with property owners and community residents to preserve a threatened landmark. We also respond to specific threats to important historic resources such as a proposed demolition. Our goal is always to help find solutions to these advocacy issues through preservation and reuse strategies.
We occasionally ask for help on local preservation issues, from writing letters of support to attending important public hearings. Please subscribe to our preservation updates list to learn more. If you know of a historic place that is threatened with demolition or neglect, please get in touch.
Subscribe for updates on preservation issues
Constructed in 1838, Upton Mansion at 811 West Lanvale Street is significant architecturally as a rare surviving nineteenth century Greek Revival country house.
The Boss Kelly House at 1106 West Saratoga Street is part of a row of houses that were built between 1830 and 1845. The building takes its name after “Boss” John S. (Frank) Kelly, the leader of the West Baltimore Democratic Club who controlled all things political in West Baltimore in the late 19th and … Read more
Baltimore Heritage is supporting the Save Strawbridge Church committee formed in June 2012 by the Mt. Royal Improvement Association. The United Methodist Church has stepped up its efforts to improve and sell Strawbridge Church at the corner of Wilson Street and Park Avenue. The MRIA Committee has met with both the City and the owners, and, as a result, … Read more
The 200 block of West Lexington Street is in the heart of the “Superblock” redevelopment area on the City’s West Side. The south side of the street is an intact block of historic buildings, a rare occurrence in this part of old downtown.
After Druid Lake was threatened by the inappropriate location of buried water tanks in 2013, the Friends of Druid Hill Park, together with area residents, Baltimore Heritage and other partners, successfully encouraged the Department of Public Works to revise the plan. Work on this plan is now underway.
Rogers-Buchanan Cemetery is a little-known family burial ground in Druid Hill Park with burials dating back to 1750. After Preservation Maryland listed the cemetery on the 2012 list of Maryland’s Most Endangered Historic Properties, Baltimore Heritage and the Friends of Druid Hill Park have secured a conservation plan for the cemetery and continue to work … Read more
Built in 1868, the Sellers Mansion (801 North Arlington Street) is a three-story Second Empire brick house with a mansard roof that rivaled its outer suburban contemporaries in size, quality of craftsmanship, and attention to detail.
The Clifton Park Valve House on St. Lo Drive in Clifton Park is a magnificent Gothic revival stone and tile-roofed structure built between 1887 and 1888. The structure has been threatened by neglect and disrepair since the early 1970s when Baltimore Heritage first recognized it as endangered.
Baltimore Heritage is working closely with the Friends of Clifton Mansion, Civic Works, the youth training program that occupies the Mansion, and the Henry Thompson of Clifton Society, to promote the historic importance of the Mansion and its role in Baltimore’s future.
Eastern Female High School at 249 Aisquith Street has been a Baltimore City Landmark since 1976 and was declared one of Baltimore’s “architectural gems” in a March 8, 2002 Baltimore Sun editorial. The school is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and has appeared on the Register’s travel itinerary of historic sites in … Read more
The Old Hamilton Branch Library at 3006 Hamilton Avenue is a historic branch library building constructed in 1920 to serve the community of Hamilton in the developing Harford Road corridor of northeast Baltimore. After a demolition threat in 2012, neighborhood residents and Baltimore Heritage organized to list the property on the National Register of Historic … Read more
Baltimore Heritage is currently working in partnership with the Coppin Heights CDC to preserve and plan the rehabilitation of the Hebrew Orphan Asylum Building. The rehabilitation of the building is expected to begin in spring 2015.
Constructed in 1911, the American Ice Company was severely damaged in a 2004 fire. Fortunately, the current owner supported a recent nomination to the National Register of Historic Places and plans to redevelop the property while retaining the historic ice house structure.
The Franklin/Delphy Hotel was damaged by a severe fire in the 500 block of North Howard Street next to the Mayfair Theater and, ultimately, demolished in May 2016. The Franklin/Delphy Hotel was a CHAP designated landmark.
Baltimore is an American center for cast iron buildings, although the number left standing in Baltimore is dwindling. A century ago, there were more than 100 of them. By 1962, the city was down to 36 buildings with full cast iron fronts. Today, there are only 9 of these left, and an additional 13 with … Read more
On the east side of the 400 block of Park Avenue stand numbers 405-411, four paired, three-story stuccoed brick townhouses whose elliptical blind arches above the doorways and some of the windows resemble those on architect Robert Mills’s now-demolished Waterloo Row.
The 500 block of Gay Street, the heart of Old Town Mall in the Jonestown neighborhood, is a full block of intact historic commercial properties that contain over 200 years of architectural heritage. Today, the Baltimore Development Corporation is overseeing a large redevelopment for the area.
The three houses at 606, 608, and 610 Cathedral Street are all that remain of the elegant nineteenth-century townhouses that once lined this block off West Mount Vernon Place. The Walters Art Museum has acquired the three townhouses. The Museum has not publicly indicated how the townhouses fit into its ongoing planning for museum expansion.
Castalia – News “Calvert School prevented from razing house,” March 12, 2008, Edward Gunts, The Baltimore Sun “Castalia demolition talk sparks sellers’ regret: Previous owners urge school to let stone house stand,” December 11, 2007, Edward Gunts, The Baltimore Sun “Community groups hold house’s fate in their hands: Calvert School’s plans have preservationists up in arms,” November … Read more
One of a few–and possibly the only fully intact late-nineteenth-century urban mansions designed almost exclusively by acclaimed by New York architect, Standford White of McKim, Mead & White, the Ross Winans House at 1217 St. Paul Street is the epitome of cosmopolitan living in Baltimore. Commissioned by Baltimore millionaire Ross R. Winans, heir to a … Read more
The Scottish Rite of Freemasons began construction of the temple building at 3800 North Charles Street in 1930, and the building was opened in 1932. The building was designed by noted architect (and Scottish Rite Mason) Clyde N. Friz and renowned architect John Russell Pope. Friz’s other works in Baltimore include Enoch Pratt Free Library … Read more
Built during the 1820s, the row of houses on the 300 block of Saint Paul Place (1820s Houses) was erected in the aftermath of the War of 1812 and constituted some of the oldest buildings in Baltimore. Mercy Hospital demolished the buildings in 2007 to construct a new building on the site.