- This event has passed.
St. John’s in the Village: Very Gothic and Ever so English
December 29, 2014 @ 5:00 pm - 6:00 pm$15
In 1843, the congregation of St. John’s Episcopal Church began worshipping at a site in an area that was then called Huntington, now Greenmount Avenue in Waverly. In the surrounding countryside stood several of Baltimore’s great estates: Montebello, Clover Hill, Homewood, Guilford, Greenmount, and Homestead. Undaunted by a fire that claimed its first sanctuary, St. John’s built its current church in 1860 and soon added a parish house and rectory.
The church was built following the tenets of the Ecclesiological Society out of Cambridge, England, which devoted itself to the revival of Gothic architecture. With heavy stone and vaulted arched windows, it is a wonderful example of both Gothic and English high church architecture. Within, the congregation continues to worship in accordance with the Book of Common Prayer. Please join us on a tour of this wonderful building with Reverend Jesse Parker, who has been at the helm of St. John’s for over 20 years and is continuing an ongoing restoration project. As the Christmas season is not over, the church will be decked out in all full glory.
- December 29, 2014
5:00 pm - 6:00 pm