- This event has passed.
Celebrating Centennial Homes Families: City Hall Reception & Tour
August 8, 2015 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pmFree!
The Baltimore Centennial Homes program has reached a milestone. We’ve found ten families in Baltimore have lived in the same house for 100 years or more. And now we’re celebrating with a reception and tour of City Hall on Saturday, August 8.
City Hall Reception and Tour
- 10:00 am— Registration
- 10:30 am— Presentation
- 11:00 am— City Hall Tour
The Baltimore Centennial Homes program is a partnership between Baltimore Heritage and Baltimore City. We launched it with Councilman Jim Kraft in 2009 to recognize families that have lived in the same house for 100 years or more. From South Federal Hill to Overlea, Hollins Market to Highlandtown, the program is up to ten families. The longest running, the Leight/Cullen/Smith family, has been in their house in Waverly since 1887. For some perspective, this is one year after the Baltimore Zoo was founded and 43 years before women got the right to vote. Even the “newest” family, the Randall/Baynes family that moved into their house in 1912, started their tenure before the University of Baltimore was founded (1925) or the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra got its start as a branch of the city’s Department of Municipal Music (1915).
Below are the ten Centennial Homes Families we’ve been able to document so far. Whether you’re a neighbor, family friend or just an admirer of Baltimore’s historic neighborhoods, please join us in thanking them for the 100 years or more of service to Baltimore. And please join us on August 8 for a reception and tour of City Hall.
Baltimore Centennial Homes Families
- Crane and Buccheri Family – Hollins Market since 1891
- Kafer and Moskal Family – Canton since 1904
- Kavanaugh, Rabassa, Gould & Butts Family – Baltimore Linwood since 1902
- Leight, Cullen and Smith Family – Waverly since 1877
- Lowe and Martin Family – South Federal Hill since 1894
- Oswinkle, Moran and Watkins Family – Highlandtown since 1910
- Pente Family – Little Italy since 1904
- Pente, Lancelotta and Nagle Family – Little Italy since 1906
- Randall and Baynes Family – Canton since 1912
- Rist Family – Overlea since 1905
October 21 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 am
October 28 @ 9:30 am - 10:30 am
November 3 @ 9:30 am - 12:00 pm