- This event has passed.
Hampden Historic Churches: Open House Tour
December 8 @ 12:00 pm - 3:00 pmFree
Join the Greater Hampden Hertiage Alliance for a self-guided tour of Hampden’s historic churches. All churches on the list are free to visit and open from 12:00 – 3:00 pm. Explore Hampden’s history and learn about the congregations and organizations located in the buildings today.
Check out a Google Map of participating churches.
Participating Historic Churches
Visit the following churches between 12pm – 3pm on December 8. Stop by the event hub at St. Mary’s Outreach Center the day of the event for more information and print copies of the list of churches.
Event Hub: St. Mary’s Outreach Center
3900 Roland Avenue
Construction Date: 1873
St. Mary’s Episcopal Church was originally located near Roosevelt Park, but was bought and torn down by the City to make way for the Hampden Reservoir. The current structure, attributed to architect John J. Husband, was built in 1873 after another church on the site burned down. Today, it serves as the St. Mary’s Outreach Center.
Event Hub: Stop by to speak with event organizers from the Greater Hampden Heritage Alliance and pick up a physical copy of the site list.
Good Shepherd United Methodist Church
3800 Roland Avenue
Construction Date: 1893
The Good Shepherd United Methodist Church used to be known as the Otterbein Memorial United Methodist Church, constructed in 1893 and designed by architect Jackson C. Gott and built of locally quarried stone.
The Village Church
3647 Roland Avenue
Construction Date: 1890
Hampden Baptist Church was a once-thriving congregation that had several hundred members and even its own marching band. In 2008, after the church dwindled in numbers, Pastor Dan Hyun founded The Village Church and was looking for a meeting location. In 2015, under the blessing of Hampden Baptist Church, the members of the Village Church became members of Hampden Baptist Church and voted to change its name to The Village Church.
St. Thomas Aquinas
1008 W. 37th Street
Construction Date: 1871
St. Thomas Aquinas was designed by City Hall architect George Frederick and funded by John Kelly, son of Irish immigrant and early Hampden builder Martin Kelly. Prior to the construction of the church, Martin Kelly would host Catholic services in his Hampden home.
St. Luke’s Church on the Avenue
800 W. 36th Street
Construction Date: 1885
St. Luke’s Lutheran Church was built in 1885 and designed by architect Benjamin Price using rough cut, locally quarried stone. It was, the first Lutheran congregation to be established in Hampden.
The Old Church on Falls
3647 Falls Road (2nd Floor)
Construction Date: 1875
Originally the Hampden Presbyterian Church, this building was constructed in 1875 and designed by architect of City Hall George Frederick. The facade is built of marble quarried in Baltimore County. By the mid-1970s, the church functioned as a community center with a kitchen and even a basketball court. Today it is a clothing store (downstairs) and gathering place (upstairs).
Hampden Mennonite Church
1234 W. 36th Street
Construction Date: 1885
Built in 1885 and designed by architect D.B. Price, this was originally the Trinity Reformed Church, a congregation of German immigrants. The church once faced the Hampden reservoir before it was filled in during the construction of I-83. Today it is home to a Mennonite congregation.
Hampden United Methodist Church
3449 Falls Road
Construction Date: 1867
This church was built in 1867 and originally called Hampden Methodist Protestant Church. By 1917 the men’s bible class alone had about 400 members and the church itself was enlarged and rebuilt in 1922 in the classical revival style with a wide temple-front porch supported by pairs of Doric columns.
- December 8
12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- Event Categories:
- Partner Events, Tours
- Event Tags:
- Greater Hampden Heritage Alliance, Hampden
December 23 @ 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
December 27 @ 12:30 pm - 1:30 pm